The course seeks to provide humanitarian response staff as well as local, national, and regional government authorities with increased awareness and enhanced knowledge on disaster waste and management strategies to mitigate their environmental impact. By taking the course, participants will be better prepared and more able to predict, identify, analyse, and plan the impacts of disaster waste in an emergency.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify the various types, compositions, and sources of disaster waste
- Prioritize which types of disaster waste to focus on in the immediate, short, medium, and long term
- Select the most appropriate waste management options based on the context of the disaster
- Explain the opportunities that successful disaster waste management can create, including how to make projects sustainable
- List the specific ways to prepare for disaster waste given the types of disaster which can occur