UNDP is dedicated to support countries achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. UNDP helps countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results. UNDP’s work on disaster and climate resilience is guided by the Sendai Framework for DRR, the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP facilitates the design of National Adaptation Plans (NAPs) and National Disaster Risk Reduction strategies, and supports climate actions that countries have publicly pledged to achieve, known as Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs).
As one of CADRI’s Executive Partners, UNDP makes annual contributions to the CADRI Pooled Fund to support the CADRI Secretariat functions at global and regional level. UNDP is the Chair of the CADRI Board of Directors and as such plays its integrator role to support the UN system in collectively achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP led the development of the CADRI Capacity Diagnosis and Planning Generic module.
UNDP deploys specialized expertise in response to country demand for CADRI Partnership services in the areas of disaster risk reduction, climate change adaptation, crisis management and resilience, more specifically in:
- Actionable risk information: Making risk information accessible for risk-informed development policies and plans, and to enable their application by public and private stakeholders at national and local levels.
- Disaster and climate risk governance: Policy, legal and institutional development that fosters greater accountability and mainstreaming integrated solutions for disaster risk reduction and climate adaptation in national and local planning;
- Preparedness and early warning: Comprehensive multi-hazard early warning systems, development of medium and long-term forecasting capacities Capacity development for National Disaster Management Agencies and Climate Change Offices;
- Urban and community risk management: Mainstreaming disaster and climate risks into urban and community development planning and budgeting processes.
- Disaster recovery: Preparedness for recovery, early recovery, and long-term recovery, which encompasses the multi-year process of returning to sustainable development and addressing underlying risk to build back better.
To learn more about UNDP, please click here.